Add to the sendbird webhook docs that "master api key" is needed to decode signature

I just spent about an hour debugging why my webhook signature didn’t match, I was using a sub api key rather than the master.

Ability to also reset master api keys would be nice, since we can’t do that, which forces me to use a sub key…

Hey @SamKK,

This was discussed to some degree here: Help with authenticating webhook signature - #2 by Jason

I’ll look into getting a note added into the documentation to reflect the requirements.

If you need to reset the master_api key, you can reach out to the support team and we can have it reset for you.

Thanks,
Tyler

Yeah… it’s just most people will head to the docs rather than look through countless posts - I never even discovered this post when trying to resolve my issue;

If you want, here’s also a PHP(Laravel) snippet if you’d like to add that to the docs for others

public function handle(Request $request): JsonResponse
{
	$signature = $request->header('x-sendbird-signature');
	$body      = $request->getContent();
	//Master API Key stored in Laravel Config
	$apiKey    = config('services.sendbird.api_key');

$hash = hash_hmac('sha256', $body, $apiKey);

//Abort the request, since the hash and signature don't match
	if($hash !== $signature){
		abort(401);
	}
    //Do some webhooky things...
}

@Tyler reminder to get the “You must use the master API key to verify webhook signatures” into the general docs. Just spent the last 2 hours struggling with post body parsers.

Actually - it would be best if we could use a secondary api token. I don’t feel comfortable using the Master token in any of my applications…

Hey @bneigher,

Thank you for the reminder. The issue we have right now with master vs secondary is that we can only sign with one token. Because the master is more static and can’t be deleted by the customer, its what has been used. I’ll discuss with the team to see if we can implement a method to allow users to determine which token is utilized for auth.

Yea I get that - maybe in the webhook settings we can set the token used to sign webhook payloads (master selected by default, secondary available as options in the dropdown).

Thanks