Bold, italic, strikethrough text can be typed but that state is not preserved when message is send , its shows as normal text message

bold, italic, strikethrough text can be typed but that state is not preserved when message is send , its shows as normal text message. this happens when i am sending message in group channel

Hello @vkay

This post is missing a lot of context that prevents me from helping you:

• UIKit or Non-UIKit
  • What platform?
  • What version of the UIKit/SDK?

These are, at a bare minimum, required to help.

• UIKit or Non-UIKit : uikit
  • What platform?: React
  • What version of the UIKit/SDK? : “uikit-react”: “^3.6.8”

In terms of what you’ve reported, are you sending formatted text via a customMessageInput or how are you sending us formatted text?

We are not doing any processing on it.
We have simply created a chat window component like this:

<SendbirdProvider
      appId={appId}
      userId={userId}
      isMentionEnabled={!disableMentions}
    >
      <Channel channelUrl={channelUrl} renderChannelHeader={() => <></>} />
    </SendbirdProvider>

Taking a look, it looks like the messageInput component of the React supports formatting in the input box but we only send the values as plain text. Additionally speaking, the messageComponent is not designed to render rich text such as markdown or HTML.

Okay. Right now our end users will think that the text can be formatted in the chat but that wont be happening and will become a point of frustration for them, which is a bad UX. Can you please get this fixed?

Either of these solutions will work

• disabling text formatting in the messageInput
    OR
  • allowing formatted text messages in the chat

Is there any solutions about this? i have same problem

I’m also in favor in adding rich text editor.
At least when a bot is in the convo, it can return formatted responses and display them in a nice way to the user.

Full Markdown support can be great (and not just the limited one to bold and url: release: 3.14.11 by AhyoungRyu · Pull Request #1141 · sendbird/sendbird-uikit-react · GitHub)