Reactions and Replies are not showing for Super Group

I’m on a trial account and using Sendbird iOS SDK. Trying with ‘SendBirdUIKit-Sample’ from github: GitHub - sendbird/sendbird-uikit-ios-sources: Build chat in minutes with Sendbird UIKit open source code and samples., downloaded SDK on 24-May-2021. Reactions and Replies are not showing up for public “Super Group”. And for “Group”, Reactions are showing but not Replies. Could you please let me know if there are any limitations for “Super Group” regarding Reactions and Replies?

FYI, I have enabled all features in application settings.
The public “Super Group” I’m trying with is: sendbird_group_channel_11229450_8ed7c9f5860e6d5df166c266567300ba13a685c2

Hi @Ashok.S,

Reactions and Message Threading are both supported on Supergroups, and I have confirmed that the channel you referenced, is a public SuperGroup. Have you made any modifications to the UIKit code?

Hi @Tyler ,
I haven’t made any changes to Sendbird’s UIKit code. I have just downloaded the code from github: GitHub - sendbird/sendbird-uikit-ios-sources: Build chat in minutes with Sendbird UIKit open source code and samples. and changed ‘AppId’ to my Sendbird application id and ran the project.

It looks like you’re referencing the open sourced example of the UIKit. Are you able to recreate this behavior when using the UIKit Example application? GitHub - sendbird/UIKit-iOS-Swift: Sendbird UIKit for iOS sample, providing how to implement your in-app chat UI quickly and easily.

@Tyler , I’m able to recreate this behavior when using the UIKit Example application from the link that you have mentioned. I have sent you my application id. Could you please check with it. Thanks.

Hi @Ashok.S,

I had an opportunity to discuss these items with our Engineering team. They’ve informed me that we do not currently support reactions in SuperGroup channels within the UIKit. Additionally, the UIKit does not actively support message threading, but is on the roadmap.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks.

@Tyler , Thanks for checking. If you have any approximate timeline on when can we expect the reactions and replies feature for Supergroup in UIKit, please let me know.

Hi @Ashok.S,

Currently, reactions for SuperGroups is not on the roadmap, though we are discussing it internally. As for message threading, its currently being worked on but I can’t give you any timeline as other things make affect its priority.

From what I can tell, reactions in supergroup do actually work.

It looks like there’s a bug in the code. It’s currently:

// MARK: - private function
    public static func useReaction(channel: SBDBaseChannel?) -> Bool {
        guard let groupChannel = channel as? SBDGroupChannel else { return false }

if let appInfo = SBDMain.getAppInfo(),
           appInfo.useReaction, !groupChannel.isSuper, !groupChannel.isBroadcast  {
            return true
        } else {
            return true
        }
    }

Instead of checking isSuper, it should be checking isOpen, I believe. Since it works with Super groups, but not with open groups. I think the code should be:

// MARK: - private function
    public static func useReaction(channel: SBDBaseChannel?) -> Bool {
        guard let groupChannel = channel as? SBDGroupChannel else { return false }

if let appInfo = SBDMain.getAppInfo(),
           appInfo.useReaction, !groupChannel.isOpen, !groupChannel.isBroadcast  {
            return true
        } else {
            return true
        }
    }

After making this change, everything appears to work as expected with SuperGroups and is now in line with the documentation here: Channel types | Chat iOS SDK | Sendbird Docs.

1 Like