Weird zig zag/wavy effect in Video Call

Hi all,

Thank you for having this space to report bugs or issues.

I am new to Sendbird, and trying to evaluate Sendbird to replace our current video messaging implementation - Zoom.

However, I ran some issues with the Group Calls features. There is zig-zag effect happening at both Android and Web SDK side.

The zig-zag effect occurs when

1. There is at least 3 users (2 Android and 1 Web) inside the call. From the Android users POV, they are about to see their video and web’s video clearly, but not the 2nd Android user. From the Web user POV, the android users’ video will have a zig-zag effect, but not the web user itself

2. If there is 2 users (both android), one of the Android user will see a zig-zag effect on the other user

The zig-zag doesn’t effect occurs when

1. There is one android and one users in a call.

Here are some images I took while testing sendbird’s call in 3 devices (2 android and 1 web): Sendbird :( - Album on Imgur

For the web, I am using Sendbird’s Call studio.
For the android, I used the quickstart android tutorial (GitHub - sendbird/quickstart-calls-groupcall-android). I also did upgrade the sendbird sdk from 1.6 to 1.8 (according to the docs)
I think my internet speed is great too.
I also did restart the android app and rejoining/recreating the room but still have this issue.

Anyone facing this issues, or I missed out a step in the configuration?

Many thanks in advance,
harrison

Hello, thanks for contacting the Sendbird community site.

Does this issue happen all the time?
I couldn’t reproduce it.

Could you retry to test after changing your network environment?
What did you change in your quickstart application?

Hi Brian,

Does this issue happen all the time?

Yes, but is actually on and off. Sometimes it works… but most of the time, it will have the zig-zag effect.

Could you retry to test after changing your network environment?

I just changed my network to my phone’s ISP… and it still have the zig-zag effect…

What did you change in your quickstart application?

I upgraded the sendbird implementation (‘com.sendbird.sdk:sendbird-calls:X.X.X’) in gradle, from 1.6 .0 to 1.8.0, and also changed the app id as instructed in the readme.

Hmm, seems like video is lagging behind when I moved my face around… not sure whether is it gonna to do with SendBird’s server.

Not sure if it’s related or not but could you try to use SDK 1.6.0?
And I’d like to know if the issue happens with a 1:1 video call.
And what android version did you use?