Question on banning or blocking users

Q1. What is the difference between banning and blocking users?
Q2. Does globally banning or blocking a user come from a perspective of a single user or the system as a whole?
Q3. Does reporting a user have any side action such as banning or blocking a user?

Hello @jkim711,

The difference between banning a user and blocking a user are as follows:

• Ban: You can ban users from channels. Banned users are immediately removed from the channels and won’t be able to re-enter for a set period of time or until the ban is lifted.

• Block: Individual users can block other users in the channel so that they stop receiving messages from users they have blocked. Blocked users aren’t notified that they have been blocked and will continue to receive all messages except those sent to the channel by users who blocked them.

Reference: Sendbird Docs | Moderation Tools Platform API

Reports by default do not take any action against reported message, you can utilize reports alongside the moderation tools API to take an action when a report is made.

Our customer is asking for a feature where user A can block user B in the sense that user B cannot invite user A into a channel so that user B cannot contact user A?

Hello, Could you check this link?

If that’s the case, I can change the settings to “exclude blocked users when sending invitations” for your app_id. You can share your app_id with me via DM.

Based on this post, I had the understanding that Sendbird doesn’t manage the list of friends on their server. And one user’s friend list would be either on the user’s device or possibly synced with the Sendbird using customer. Based on this logic, Sendbird servers wouldn’t be able to establish an N:N user relationship, and thus Sendbird Server API wouldn’t be able to provide an N:N relationship block of invitations.

Sendbird knows who blocked whom, which doesn’t mean any relationship of friends.

I am internally checking if “blocked users” means blockers or blockees or both of them in “exclude blocked users when sending invitations

it looks like Sendbird does store the friend list, as there is the API that can list the friend list.

https://sendbird.github.io/core-sdk-javascript/module-model_query_applicationUserListQuery-ApplicationUserListQuery.html

Yes, right. Sendbird knows who blocked whom which means storing the block result.

Include or exclude blocked users when sending invitations: Determines whether or not to automatically filter out blocked users when a user invites a group of users to a new group channel.

So far, based on my test result, the above docs explanation would need to be changed as below. Checking more internally.

Include or exclude blocked users when sending invitations: Determines whether or not to automatically filter out blocker and blocked users when a user invites a group of users to a new group channel.

Hi,

Sendbird can control as below for the Sendbird application that you want.

Include or exclude blocked users when sending invitations : Determines whether or not to automatically filter out blocker(blocking) users and blocked users when a user invites a group of users to a new group channel.

The above is for your inquiry below.

Our customer is asking for a feature where user A can block user B in the sense that user B cannot invite user A into a channel so that user B cannot contact user A?

Thank you for your work on this question.

When you want to exclude blocker(blocking) users and blocked users when a user invites a group of users to a new group channel, let me know anytime or you can request the change in your dashboard > Contact us(via upper-right corder icon) so that Sendbird can change your application’s settings internally.