Video quality

I am evaluating SendBird calls for use in an enterprise telemedicine app. I have built the “quickstart-calls-ios” sample app and have it running on two devices and can make video calls between them.

However… the video quality is very poor. I understand that video quality depends on unpredictable network conditions yadda yadda, but running a similar test using the service that I’m considering switching from (QuickBlox), the video is very high quality. (Both the devices are on my local network, if it matters (which I think it does)).

Is there any setting in the sample app or on my account that could be affecting the video quality?

So you can see what I mean: top is SendBird, bottom is the other service. In both, the large video is the remote video feed. Both examples are running on the same devices.

@sjmerel

Thank you for sharing your implementation experience.

I have moved your topic into “Voice/Video Call SDK - iOS” category for better sorting.

Our Voice/video call product team is looking into this topic. I will make an update here once I hear more about this,

Thanks.

I think this is related to slow upload speeds.

I found that if I put one of my devices on cellular data, the quality of the remote video on the other device improves. I ran a speed test which showed my upload speeds to be about 1 Mbps on wifi and 7 Mbps on cellular. (Download speeds were about 70 Mbs and 30 Mbps respectively which I’m sure is plenty.)

I did some testing with the Network Conditioner in the iOS developer settings, and found that I could get the quality of the video coming from the phone over cellular data to degrade if I limited the outgoing bandwidth to about 500 kbps.

1 Mbps upload is not great, but it’s what I’ve been getting lately, with everyone staying home. And as I mentioned, video quality is acceptable on my wifi with the other provider (and with Zoom and Slack).

@sjmerel Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.
Our Call team has been working on improving the call quality since this topic created date.

I will keep you updated as soon as I hear from our engineering team.

Thanks,

1 Like

@sjmerel Could you try to update your SDK to the newest version(v1.0.3) that was released (https://github.com/sendbird/sendbird-calls-ios)?

The changelog can be found here (https://github.com/sendbird/sendbird-calls-ios/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md)

Thanks,