Cannot set is_distinct when creating a group channel

Hi,
for some reason when creating or updating a group channel, I am not able to set is_distinct on the channel. What am I missing?
the dto is as follows:
public class SendbirdChannel {
private String user_ids;
private String name;
private boolean is_public;
private boolean is_distinct;
}
thanks.

1 Like

Hi @saleh1222,

Welcome to the Sendbird community! Are you utilizing the Platform API or a specific SDK?

1 Like

Hi,
The platform API.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @saleh1222,

It looks like you’re making a distinct public channel which is not possible. A channel and not be both distinct and public as someone joining the public channel would immediately break the distinctness of the channel.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. The channel type is group though.

1 Like

Hi @saleh1222,

Can you share with me the cURL request you’re making? A group channel can either be public or distinct, so it would be best to know exactly what you’re passing to the Platform API.

1 Like

I think I know what the problem was. There was another channel between the 2 users that was not distinct. Hence setting the other as distinct did not just go through. but when I deleted the other channel, I managed to set the channel as distinct. Did I figure it correctly? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @saleh1222,

I’m happy to hear you were able to successfully create a distinct channel. The previously created non-distinct channel should not have impacted this issue. As a test, I just created two channels. The first was not distinct, and the second was. Both contained the same users. If possible, could you DM me your application id so I can take a quick peak at logging and just validate that nothing else was going on?

Hi @saleh1222,

Thank you for DMing me your application id. It looks like in all of your request, up until the successful channel, you were sending _distinct instead of is_distinct. Here is one of your requests:

{"user_ids":["[Masked Value]","[Masked Value]"],"name":"[Masked Value]","_distinct":true,"_public":false}

In your successful request, you sent the whole is_distinct:

{"is_public":false,"user_ids":["[Masked Value]","[Masked Value]"],"is_distinct":true}

Oh, I see what happened there. thanks alot for looking into this.

Cheers.