Consequences of deactivating user

What are the consequences of deactivating a Sendbird user?

I’m aware that when you deactivate a Sendbird user, you can set leave_all_when_deactivated to false.

Regardless, will setting is_active to false automatically disconnect the user from Sendbird server or does this have to be done on the client side?

Are there any other consequences of deactivating a Sendbird user?

1 Like

Anyone got this info? I would like to know if other users can see the nickname, messages and status of a deactivated user?

Hi @kotijero - thanks for reaching out to Sendbird!

First, the response to the initial question on this thread. On deactivating the user, it doesn’t automatically get disconnected from the Sendbird server. The disconnect API needs to be called explicitly.

For your question about the visibility of attributes for the deactivated user, it depends on what API you are calling. If you are querying the member in the channel – the deactivated user won’t be returned. However, the chat history will still contain the messages from the deactivated user along with the basic user profile details. Please refer to the following documentation.

Please let us know if you need any further details as per your specific use case.

If you deactivate a user and set leave_all_when_deactivated to false, I assume this user will no longer receive messages and push notifications?

Also, according to the pricing page, Sendbird’s pricing is based on Monthly Active Users where an MAU is counted as an active user when they connect to Sendbird server. Since deactivating a user does not disconnect them from Sendbird server, can you please clarify whether a user will be treated as a MAU if our application deactivates the user, but does not disconnect them from Sendbird server?

Thanks a lot!

As per the current implementation, the deactivated user continues to receive the messages until it’s automatically disconnected after 20 minutes of inactivity. Since the users are automatically disconnected, it shouldn’t affect the MAU.
That said, you may want to explicitly disconnect the user after deactivating to cope with both of these cases.

1 Like

Is there a way to disconnect a user from Sendbird server using the Platform API? If we’re using access tokens, is it just a matter of issuing a new access token?

In my test, I’m observing that if you are using an access token – reissuing the access token doesn’t disconnect the user. However, in case of a session token, revoking the token disconnects the user.

I have reached out to our engineering team to understand if it’s an expected behavior.