How to make group channel public

Hi,

I have created a couple of Group Channels in my application through the Dashboard but I can’t find the way to make them public so the clients can fetch them without the user having to be a member.

Doing:

val query = GroupChannel.createPublicGroupChannelListQuery()
                    query.customTypesFilter = listOf("spotify:artist:6zVFRTB0Y1whWyH7ZNmywf")
                    query.membershipFilter = PublicGroupChannelListQuery.MembershipFilter.ALL
                    query.next { groups, exception -> }

always returns no channels…

How could I turn these Group Channels into public channels through the Dashboard?

Thanks!

Hey @Tash,

Welcome to the Sendbird Community! Group channels can be marked as public only during the creation process:

var params = new sb.GroupChannelParams();
params.isPublic = true;
params.isSuper = false;
params.addUserIds(['John', 'Harry']);
params.name = NAME;

sb.GroupChannel.createChannel(params, function(groupChannel, error) {
    if (error) {
        // Handle error.
    }

const channeUrl = groupChannel.channelUrl;
});

Hi @Tyler ,

thanks for your quick reply :slight_smile:

So there is no way to create a public group channel through the Dashboard?

Is there a console in the dashboard where I could execute the code you posted above to create a public group channel without having to do it through a client?

Many thanks!

Hey @Tash,

There is no way to create a public group via the dashboard. The easiest way would be to use the Platform API and a tool like Postman, where you only have to write a little JSON.

We are currently working on a Public postman workspace and hope it have it out in the next week or two. Until then, you could easily create your own.

1 Like