SendBird Push only one notification - android

I’m building a chat app android I know well it works only when devices are offline ( in the background )

I’ve some questions: 1- if a user sends a message to another, SendBird push notification for the first message only, and next messages no notifications are sent.

it won’t send another notification even the receiver has canceled the notification ( by swipe ) the only way to get notifications again is by asking the receiver to open chat again.

2- also, is there any assistance from the backend dev so push all notifications whether app in the background or foreground?

3- can backend dev assist in sending multiple notifications?

I hope if anyone can assist me with some proof from docs regarding the three points as my PM doesn’t believe that SDK has some limitations.

@Mes_Android. Welcome to the Sendbird Community. I will try to answer your questions below.

Q: If a user sends a message to another user, SendBird push notification for the first message only, and next messages no notifications are sent. Sendbird won’t send another notification even the receiver has canceled the notification ( by swipe ) the only way to get notifications again is by asking the receiver to open chat again.

A: This is not the expected behaviour. In most conditions Sendbird will send a push notification for all messages. However, this depends on your Sendbird Dashboard push notification settings (explained below) and the online status of the receiving user.

Q: Is there any assistance from the backend dev so push all notifications whether app in the background or foreground?
A: In your Sendbird Dashboard there is an option to send push notifications regardless of the device being in the background or foreground. Sendbird Dashboard → Settings → Notifications → “Send as long as one device is offline”
If you set Send as long as one device is offline to be on the current Android SDK version is receiving notifications all the time, regardless of being in the foreground or background. Please let me know if you need to be able to see notifications if the app is in the foreground.

Q: Can backend dev assist in sending multiple notifications?
A: As mentioned Sendbird does send mulitple push notifications. :slight_smile:

Q1: Please let me know if you need to be able to see notifications if the app is in the foreground.

A: yes, i need notifications to be pushed even if app is in foreground, so user can know that there is a chat message come to him

Q2: now, i need to add the call to the Uikit , how can i get access to Uikit code for adding it?

Welcome to Sendbird Community.
Q2: I need to add the call to the UIKit, how can I get access to UIKit code for adding it?
A: To add the call to the UIKit, you need to customize UIKit. Probably, you want to add the call icon to Chatroom (on Action Bar). So that, you need to create your own customized Activity and Fragment, then need to extend them from UIKit’s ChannelActivity and ChannelFragment class. When the call icon is clicked, you can handle the event in the classes, and open Call’s UI. But, you need to create your own UI and implementations with Sendbird Calls
I hope that the answer will be helpful to you. If you have further questions, feel free to ask. Thanks

1 Like