UI Kit v3.5 beta does not work with Create React App

@sendbird/uikit-react version 3.0.0-beta.5 does not work with an application created using create react app.

Steps to reproduce:

The following errors are observed (see below). This issue is similar to this community post, however the solution there is to modify the webpack config, which is not really possible when using create react app.

Is anybody else experiencing the same issue? Given that the a large percentage of React applications are created using Create React App these days, I’d expect UI Kit v3 to work out of the box with Create React App without any modifications, which is what v2 does.

1 Like

Hi @Adam_Boothroyd,

Welcome to the Sendbird Community.

This is something we recently addressed. You can see some updated documents here on how to work around it: GitHub - sendbird/sendbird-uikit-react at develop-v3

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for getting back to me, and for linking to the suggested workaround.

Unfortunately, this workaround is not suitable for my needs.

Apps made using Create React App would have to be ejected in order to modify the Webpack config, which would solve the issue here, but would increase the maintenance overhead of any future upgrades. It also sort of defeats the purpose of using Create React App, which is to abstract configuration away.

Version 2 of the UI kit works with Create React App without any additional configuration or ejecting. Do you have any plans to make v3 work in the same way?

You can customize the webpack config without ejecting from CRA.

I’ve been able to use GitHub - timarney/react-app-rewired: Override create-react-app webpack configs without ejecting with CRA 5.

This is no longer an issue - looks like the issue was fixed when v3 moved to general availability.