Regional Migration Guide
Prepared By: Solutions Engineering
What is Regional Migration?
SendBird currently provides global instance coverage in 6 different regions (Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Frankfurt, Oregon, West Virginia) where will serve as a database for our customers.
For customers with high traffic (100,000 MAU and above) we recommend choosing the region closest to their end-users.
The regional migration happens when our customers decide to move their region to the different region that is the closest and this guide includes setup and steps to migration the instance from one region to another region.
Before we begin, let’s go over the terminology that will be used in this guide.
- Source Instance: original instance (i.e. Free tier - Tokyo) that customer wants to migrate from
- Target Instance: new instance that customer wants to migrate to
Setup before migration action
- Ask SendBird to give you access to your target region for your new app
- Create a new app with a target region (Dashboard > create app)
- Turn on the data export API on the source instance (contact our Sales Team)
- Turn on the migration API on the target instance (contact our Sales Team)
Now we have everything set up, let’s begin the actual migration.
- Data Export
Download all the messages with the desired time range in Dashboard>Data Export
Migration API to move the downloaded messages from the source instance to the target instance. (https://docs.sendbird.com/platform/migration)
The migration process takes smaller 3 steps that are written below:
A. Register the users of your current chat solution to your SendBird application.
You can migrate the users into the SendBird system using the user creation API.
C. The maximum number of migrated messages per call is 100. To avoid failure during your migration, you must adjust the number of messages to process at once via the API.