Recording Voice

Hi there,
I’m building a healthcare app where we need to record voice as a compliance measure.

I thought this was possible with Sendbird, but I’ve been testing the platform and can’t how this can be done?

Hi @KyleB,

Nice to hear from you. I hope you are well. In your post you mention about the need to record voice. Please can you expand a little on the requirements? As I’m aware our Calls team are working towards providing a recording mechanism but it will be on the client side. Do you think that will work for your case?

Hey Jason, Thanks for getting back to me.

So in the Pharma space, we need to keep records of the interactions we have with patients, typically called “adverse event reporting” . It’s essentially a government mandated / compliance thing we need to do when talking with patients. To comply with this, we need to be able to record the phone calls we have, keep a log and submit them to regulators when an “adverse event” is mentioned on the call (i.e “I was taking your medication and then I broke our in a rash”)

We really like sendbird but if we can’t record voice (or create a sort of middleware that can record the audio) we have to find some sort of solution that can allow this.

Hope you can help!
Thanks,
Kyle

Hello Kyle, on-device audio and video recording is set to be released mid-September, if you can wait that long. This will enable either party to save recordings on their respective devices. You would then need to set up some mechanism to send the file to the required destination after it has been saved.

Cloud recording is also in the works, but the timeline is a bit further out: sometime in 2021.

@KyleB To add to KC’s exciting news about on device recording.

I’d like to mention that it would be fairly straight forward to save the recording after it is finished to a Sendbird Channel as a file message. I’ve attached document on the saving part for you. Perhaps, you could work on that part until the Sendbird Calls recording feature is ready. :slight_smile:

[SendBird] Voice Notes - External (2).pdf (129.4 KB)

Thanks KC and Jason, great to hear this is in the works.

Another workaround I realized I could use is to just use a desktop audio/screencast recording software and use that as the audio record for now.

Hi, is the voice recording feature now available?

Yes, please see the documentation here:

Thanks for the reply. I think i misunderstood. I Was talking about recording an audio and send it as on Whatsapp.

To send a recorded audio file in a chat, you would need to use the Chat SDK, not the Calls SDK.

The chat SDK support file messages:

You would need to use 3rd party libraries to record and playback the files, however. But Sendbird Chat files messages can be used to send and receive them in the chat channel.

Hey, just wanted to clear my doubts: Recording an audio and sending it across is currently not possible in sendbird correct?

We can however send an “pre-recorded” audio file in the chat.

Thanks

@Abhishek_Shah recording and audio and sending it across and a pre-recorded audio: both cases have to be managed by the frontend of the app: like having a record audio button which lets you record audio and save it as an audio file or a file picker where you can pick an existing audio file.
The way frontend is handling the above should not matter to sendbird and using the chat sdk to share the
This issue is not specific to sendbird itself.

Hi, I working on a truck project and it need record voice function.
Currently my app use React native SDK, I want to know that Can Sendbird react-native-call-sdk support record voice when making a call.