Concurrency calculation

I have a question about the “Peak concurrent connections” for Sendbird chat.

Suppose I have 1000 Monthly Active Users (MAU). In the pro plan, peak concurrent connections
can be max. 5% of MAU or 50 in my case.

My questions are:

1. How do you calculate peak concurrent connections? If there are 100 users in the chat screen are they all considered concurrent connecionts? Or is concurrency calculated based on the number of users sending a message in the same second, millisecond (what is the time measure?)?
  2. If peak concurrent connections exceed 5% (or 50 in my case) I read somewhere in the forum that you pay automatically 5$/extra user. Is this the case?

Best,
Daniel

Hi @daniel1

Welcome to Sendbird Community!

Would you refer to the following?
https://community.sendbird.com/t/usage-calculation-peak-concurrent-connections/2907

@Miyoung_Han thanks for the reply. nevertheless, not being a programmer myself, I find it hard to understand the specifications of that explanation. So, I would be grateful if you answered the specific answer to my question above (that applies to my use case), i.e.:

If there are 100 users on the chat screen are they all considered concurrent connections? Or is concurrency calculated based on the number of users sending a message in the same second, millisecond (what is the time measure?)?

Hi @daniel1 to answer your specific question, all 100 users would be considered an active connection.

An active connection counted anytime the underlying websocket connection is active. Essentially anytime the connect() method is called and the app is in the foreground. Keep in mind that a single user can be considered more than once when it comes to concurrency as they may have multiple devices up or multiple browser tabs if using Javascript/Flutter.

When peak connections is exceeded, there is a charge per additional concurrent connection you exceed. Typically that is $5 but ultimately depends on the type of plan you have and whether you have a long term contract with Sendbird or a Self Service plan.