This is our case scenario requirement that is very common in today’s chat apps.
- We are a Whatsapp-like one-on-one chat app, and we use Sendbird’s Group Channels.
- Inside the Group Channel, user A and user B joins.
- user A calls user B but user B does not answer a call.
- we want to send a chat message “user A called you!” to only user B.
- To build this feature, when user A calls user B, in the server side using sendbirds Platform API we send a
ADMMtype, Sendbird Admin Message to the group channel. However there are two problems we cannot solve.
Problem to our Solution
How can we only show the channel message to user A? Admin Messages seem to go through the channel and delivered to both user A and user B?
Could we manipulate the ‘Unread Message Count’ for each user in server side through the Platform API? Because the Admin message that “User A called you!” goes to the group channel, user B should not have the message counted as an unread message count, because the message should only be visible to user A.
Could we manipulate the ‘Latest last message’ through the Platform API? Same as I stated above in 2., “User A called you” should not be delivered as the ‘Latest last message’ for the group channel for the user B, because user B shouldn’t see the message at all in his/her chat room.